Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 2 - Why are gyms so unhelpful? #12WBT

Day 2 - Why are gyms so unhelpful?  #12WBT


I had a gym.  I love the gym too.  It's got state of the art equipment, wifi, internet on the machines to watch tv or check emails while you work and little jets of cool air that puff on your face when you start building up a sweat.

The only problem with my gym is that there are no classes.  That's not a bad thing, but as Michelle said to mix it up a bit, I sought out other gyms and checked out their classes.

There is one in town that I thought would be ok.  Pilates for Beginners, Zumba Gold (for beginners), Boxing fit also which interested me.  I joined up on their 7 day pass, which allows me to do their classes and check it all out before I sign up.

The only condition was that I had to be put on a program by one of their trainers before they'd let me touch their equipment.

I understand that.  Even though their equipment was that hospital green and looked like it came out of a prison, I consented.

I showed up today for my induction and the young girl who was to 'train me' really was not an enthusiastic person.  She didn't ask me any questions about myself or what I wanted to achieve.  She had her check list of equipment that she was supposed to show me and that, in her mind, was what it was all about.

Imagine her shock when I pulled out the #12WBT exercise plan for today and said - don't put me on a program, I need to follow this (*hold up Michelle's #12WBT).

The girl had never heard of it.  Nor did she know anyone that was doing the 12WBT program.  Nor would she have put any beginner on a 6 day fitness plan.  ...everything was negative and non-embracing.

But I persisted.

I said, 'You can put me on your plan if you want, but I won't follow it - because I'm following 12WBT to the letter....so can you show me that equipment please?'

The girl had no choice, but she was not happy that her little world was rocked by some overweight pushy 50something woman trying to call the shots.

And one last thing, as I'm having a rant.  Why is it that the young 'trainers' have no empathy of us older types who can not do certain exercises because we just don't have the flexibility (yet) and then just shrug their shoulders and say, 'Oh, well, I don't know any other exercise that you could do instead.'  Should there not be a law against these people supposedly 'training' people?

OK, well that's my comment for today.

I was so unmotivated after that session at that gym, that I immediately went back to my gym and did another whole hour of work out.

:))

No comments: