Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Scary #12WBT Diary

Hello - I'm in group 2 of Michelle Bridges #12WBT


I want to capture my progression through the #12WBT, so I can benchmark how far I've moved mentally through the process.

Here's my BIG statement: I'm going to follow Michelle's program to the letter.

That's a commitment, a statement and a scary admittance.  If I say the words enough times, I'm hoping it takes hold in my subconscious.  And I'll say it again - I'm scared.  I'm scared of exercising because I have not done much of it in my lifetime.  Shameful admittance to make considering I'm 53.

There are a couple of proud exercising moments in my life though.  1) In my early 20's, I played squash 5 times a week.  2) When I turned 40, I trained for 4 months for 1.5 hours a day to do a charity belly dance.  Wow, I really dropped the weight off then.  Injury shortly afterward stopped me from continuing to dance and then over the last 13 years, I've just put all the weight back on.

So, that's my story.  I've been yo-yo dieting ever since.  I've never really embraced any other form of exercise.  Mild attempts at the gym - but nothing structured or married with a solid nutritional diet.


I've been working through the pre-planning program online and already, I can feel a shift in how I'm thinking.  I belong to a gym, but it doesn't have classes, so I went to another gym and found some classes that I think I'd like to take.  That's a first for me.  Pro-activeness.

I also have always wanted to learn how to play tennis.  So I bought a tennis racket and balls and will join up at the local tennis club and check out if there is anyone in this small little town who's interested in giving me lessons.

I'd love to learn how to play golf too - but that's for somewhere in the future.

I went to the gym today.  I usually do 2kms on the treadmill - just walking as I'm scared to run...for the moment.  But today, I pushed it to 4 kms on a faster pace.  I surprised myself.  So now I can see that I need to push myself more.  No excuses.

I also went and bought a few things.  Skipping ropes (they scare me too!), one of those large balls which I'm not sure how to use and a set of pully things for upper body stretching.  I also bought some exercise clothes, another gym bag and extra socks.  I figure with that much training coming up - I'll always need a clean gym bag in my car, while the other is getting washed.  So that's me - getting organised to get rid of the excuses why I can't do things.  I'll have a gym bag ready to go.

I just watched Michelle's video on getting organised and I liked the idea of a big weekend cook up to prepare meals for the week ahead.  I can totally see me doing that.  Thanks Michelle!

For now, I'm just trying to mentally prepare.  We (our group 2), starts on Monday and there's still lots to plan.

Yikes, I'm scared though.


No comments: